If you get an MIP citation in Michigan, you have rights!

Don’t give them up by making uninformed decisions.

Before you do anything, consult with an attorney and plead not guilty!

What to do if you get a Minor in Possession (MIP) in Michigan. First, plead Not Guilty! Don't give up your rights. Call an attorney. LakeshoreLawandMediation.comMany young people people believe since they were caught as a minor in possession of alcohol, or received an MIP, they are automatically guilty of the crime. Many plead guilty thinking the court will be easier on them.

THIS IS WRONG!!! If you received an MIP citation, you have the constitutional right to plead not guilty and you have the right to hire an attorney or speak to the prosecutor. If you plead guilty, you give up these rights instantly.

The court cannot punish you more harshly for exercising your rights.

After you plead not guilty, a pre-trial conference will be set. The pre-trial conference allows your attorney (or you if you do not hire an attorney) to meet with the prosecutor to discuss the case.

We highly recommend you hire an attorney
before your MIP Pre-Trial Conference.

Advice on what to do if you get an MIP in Michigan. First, plead not guilty! Contact LakeshoreLawandMediation.com for help. Your attorney can look at the case from a legal standpoint and see if the police followed correct procedures when they cited you for being a minor in possession. If proper procedures were not followed, your attorney can point out these weaknesses in the case and perhaps convince the prosecutor to dismiss the case or maybe lower the case to a civil infraction (much like a speeding ticket that does not go on your permanent record).

In any case, you are better served to have an attorney representing you; an experienced attorney will know exactly what to look for and will have experience negotiating with the prosecutor.

It also possible the prosecutor may have filed other charges against you that you would not know about until getting to court. It is not uncommon for the prosecutor to add charges to the original MIP citation based on the police report.

Additional charges commonly associated with a MIP, that you may not know about until court, include:

  • Open intoxication
  • Providing false ID
  • Providing false information to a police officer
  • Providing alcohol to a minor
  • If the party was at your house, you can be charged with being a social host at a party


If there is no solution reached between the attorney or you and the prosecutor at the pre-trial, the case will be scheduled for a trial.


Learn about the Court Process for Minor in Possession Law in Michigan on our blog >

Be smart about your MIP charge! Get helpful information on our webpage: More Advice for Minor in Possession in Michigan >


Call Lakeshore Law and Mediation Center for expert representation if you receive a citation for Minor in Possession (MIP) in Michigan.

We serve the Allendale, Grand Haven, Spring Lake, Holland, Muskegon and Grand Rapids area with expert representation and guidance through the court system to get you the best results.

Call 616.844.4091

Email us anytime and we’ll respond ASAP!

[contact-form-7 id=”7″ title=”Contact form 1″]

283443-20141003What happens if you receive a ticket for MIP in Michigan?

The court process for an MIP, or Minor in Possession in Michigan, can determine whether your permanent, adult record will show this charge. It is a misdemeanor if you are found guilty. This will stay on your permanent record.

Be smart about your Minor in Possession Court Proceeding!

When you receive the ticket from the police officer, it will list a date and time when you are to appear in court. The first time in court is known as the Arraignment.

At the Arraignment, you will be told what the charge is, you will be given and Advice of Rights document explaining all of your legal rights, and the Judge will ask how you plead.


Plead Not Guilty for a Minor in Possession Charge

You can plead one of three different ways:  Not guilty, guilty or stand mute. If you stand mute it means you say nothing and the judge will automatically enter a not guilty plea on your behalf.

If you have been charged with MIP and are going to court on your own, the number ONE piece of advice is: plead NOT GUILTY!! Too many young people will simply plead guilty and not realize the far reaching consequences of this decision.

If you plead guilty at the arraignment you lose ALL  of your rights that are explained on the Advice of Rights document. For instance, your right to a trial, right to an attorney, a right to be presumed innocent, and many more are forfeited the second you plead guilty.

If you plead not guilty or stand mute, many courts will make you pay a cash bond (typically from $100 to $200) at the Arraignment. Be prepared to have cash with you to pay the bond. Without cash you will be remanded to jail until the pre- trial.


Learn about the Pre-Trial Conference for Minor in Possession Law in Michigan on our blog >

Be smart about your MIP charge! Get helpful information on our webpage: More Advice for Minor in Possession in Michigan >



Don’t try to do this on your own – call us for advice from an expert!

Call 616.844.4091 or email us anytime.

[contact-form-7 id=”7″ title=”Contact form 1″]