MIP Minor in Possession Charges in Michigan - LakeshoreLawandMediation.com

283443-20141003What happens if you receive a ticket for MIP in Michigan?

The court process for an MIP, or Minor in Possession in Michigan, can determine whether your permanent, adult record will show this charge. It is a misdemeanor if you are found guilty. This will stay on your permanent record.

Be smart about your Minor in Possession Court Proceeding!

When you receive the ticket from the police officer, it will list a date and time when you are to appear in court. The first time in court is known as the Arraignment.

At the Arraignment, you will be told what the charge is, you will be given and Advice of Rights document explaining all of your legal rights, and the Judge will ask how you plead.


Plead Not Guilty for a Minor in Possession Charge

You can plead one of three different ways:  Not guilty, guilty or stand mute. If you stand mute it means you say nothing and the judge will automatically enter a not guilty plea on your behalf.

If you have been charged with MIP and are going to court on your own, the number ONE piece of advice is: plead NOT GUILTY!! Too many young people will simply plead guilty and not realize the far reaching consequences of this decision.

If you plead guilty at the arraignment you lose ALL  of your rights that are explained on the Advice of Rights document. For instance, your right to a trial, right to an attorney, a right to be presumed innocent, and many more are forfeited the second you plead guilty.

If you plead not guilty or stand mute, many courts will make you pay a cash bond (typically from $100 to $200) at the Arraignment. Be prepared to have cash with you to pay the bond. Without cash you will be remanded to jail until the pre- trial.


Learn about the Pre-Trial Conference for Minor in Possession Law in Michigan on our blog >

Be smart about your MIP charge! Get helpful information on our webpage: More Advice for Minor in Possession in Michigan >



Don’t try to do this on your own – call us for advice from an expert!

Call 616.844.4091 or email us anytime.

[contact-form-7 id=”7″ title=”Contact form 1″]