Ten Tips to Consider Before You Hire a Divorce Attorney
Finding the right divorce attorney starts with you!
Choosing the right divorce attorney doesn’t have to be an additional burden. But it does require a bit of planning before hiring someone to represent you during this critical time.
Before you hire a divorce attorney, do your homework.
- Interview different attorneys to find the right one for you. Your situation and fact pattern is unique. It’s important to find an attorney that makes you feel comfortable and understood. It’s important to find an attorney who has experience in your type of case.
- Understand the divorce process that will work best for you. Some examples of different divorce processes are: collaborative, mediation, and litigation. Generally speaking, the more conflict in a case, the more costly your case may become. However, trying to save money in a family law case could also cost money or time with your children in the final analysis.
- Choose an attorney who fits your situation. Some attorneys are highly litigious, others are low key, still others are adaptable and will focus their strategy based on your goals.
- Choose an attorney who has a positive attitude and who tells you the truth about possible outcomes. You don’t want to hear doom and gloom but you don’t want Pollyanna either. An attorney who has a balanced approach to your case may offer the most efficient means to your end goal.
- Discuss costs. Although the discussion may be awkward, it’s important to have a frank discussion with your attorney about cost.
- Discuss with your attorney your goals for the outcome. Everyone has a different idea of what is most important to them.
- Reach out to your support network but don’t expect that your case should turn out the same way as a “friend’s” divorce because your case is based on your facts and your unique situation.
8. Stand up for yourself. A good attorney for you will listen and understand what is important to you. That attorney will explain what you need to do in order to reach your goal. There are a lot of choices to make as you go through your legal situation, talk to your attorney honestly. Expect honesty from your attorney.
9. Look to your future. Divorce can be sad and difficult, but some people find relief from a bad marriage that made everyone unhappy. Find an attorney who will help you see that there is positive and happy future for you.
10. Learn about the legal process. Be informed and ask all the questions you need to ask so you can understand where you are going and how you are going to get there. Expect your attorney to be your teacher.
Choosing the right divorce attorney is crucial to finding common ground and an acceptable outcome from your divorce. Take time to do your homework and find an attorney who will work with you to get you the outcome you deserve.
Learn more about Pre-Divorce Planning.